Saturday, November 17, 2012

Saturday Special - Building a Butterfly Art Journal Spread

Hi everyone it's Saturday and today I have another Saturday Special for you all.. I call it Building a Butterfly..



I created my butterfly off of the spread on a 6x6 piece of Designer Paper that had butterflys on it. First I cut out a butterfly on my Cricut using Tim Holtz's Grunge Paper. I had to use the Heavy Duty Blade going through it four times. I used the program "Makes the Cut "to find the butterfly I wanted but I'm sure there are cartridges with butterflys on them. Or you can draw one and cut it out. I then used Gesso on the Butterfly Grunge Paper to give it some tooth and then painted it with White Acrylics Paint. You could leave off the Acrylics if you wanted to have a more grungy look..I cut the butterfly in two pieces.. Now my next layer to the butterfly was a paper bag that I traced the main butterfly slightly larger..  The layer underneath the paper bag was some more Designer Paper I found with the striped pattern on it.. Then I cut out some burlap in the shape of wings and added that. The adhesive I used for all was some Matt Medium..  I grabbed a doily at this point and cutting it into fourths . I added some Distress Walnut Stain Ink to it and then added that under the designer paper and burlap wings. Under all of this I scrunched up some dress pattern paper and stapled it into the shape of wings.. I scrunched it some more once the adhesive was dry.. I attached all of this to the 6x6 Designer Paper.. I added the lace on the bottom with a strip of pearls and pearls on the top....

I then prepared my Journal.. First I gesso'd the pages and then on the right hand side I used Claudine Hellmuth's "Painterly Pink" acrylic paint. I love her paints. They are so creamy. I put the Tim Holtz Butterfly Mask down onto the spread and painted around it.  I then painted the left side with the Claudine Hellmuth paint.

Once all was dry with some more Matt Medium I adhered my 6x6 DP with my butterfly attached to it. I scrunched the dress pattern paper a little bit more so it fit on the left side good.. I stamped around the spread with a Dylusions Border stamp (Around the Edge stamp set).. and added my words ,again with stamps.. To blend in my words and give them some pop I took some Black Soot Distress Ink and rubbed it around the words.. I also used the ink on the spread randomly to bring in the black.. 

To finish off my butterfly I added some Prima flowers, a key in between the wings and some burlap on the back of the key between the two wings. Then I took a Pitt Pen (size M) and added some pen work to the butterfly. 

This would look beautiful on a Canvas also.. 

This spread was a little different for me as it doesn't have my usual background stamps and it's way more plain then I usually do. What do they say "Less is more" LOL  It was hard for me to stop but I really wanted the Butterfly to be the main focal point without anything else.. 

Most all of my products are from Outlaw Women Scrapbook Emporium

Well that's it for today.. I had a ball creating this spread.

and it was out of my norm.. LOL

as Always 

Have fun Creating!

Robyn

1 comment:

  1. beautiful spread. love your blog. thanks for sharing. hugs julie

    ReplyDelete

We love comments....post yours here.