Sunday, April 28, 2013

Products Review - Tim Holtz Distress Paints

Judy had posted an entry about the new Tim Holtz Distress Paints and I wanted to show them to you in use..

At first when they came out I said to myself "self, why do you need more paints? You have so much now already.. In all different brands and kinds..?" and my self said well let's just try one or two to really see if these are any different. You know I'm a supplies junkie and I had to get my fix!! LOL

So I bought two and then two more and right now I have about 8 of them.. I am very surprised at how much I like them.. Especially to use on stamps. Blending the colors as you apply them.. 

So anywho I created this Layout with the Tim Holtz Distress paints and a little Tim Holtz Distress Inks.. 



First I put some blobs of yellow down and brayered it randomly to get a coverage mostly in the middle of my 12x12 piece of white cardstock. Then I wanted to see how they mixed.. I took some spiced marmalade and mustard seed and mixed the two. I got a beautiful Indian Yellow.. I took the cap off and dunked it in the paint and using it as a stamp stamped some circle towards the top left.. I always use odd numbers of elements for good composition.. Now I wanted to see how they worked with stencils.. I grabbed my numbers stencil by crafters workshop and just using the dabber I dabbed some. I have to tell you too much came out and it was a bit sloppy.. I then poured a little on my palette and used my stencil dauber and with a lot less paint I dabbed it on. It went on beautifully that way.. One thing about this paint is that if you heat set your layer to begin with your next layer on top will not move the paint. I love this about this paint. It is water soluble but when heat set it won't move!! Fabulous!!  Between each layer I did I heat set.

I wanted some blotches so with some spiced marmalade and using the dauber I put some paint down then with my fingernail I scratched outward.. voila I got some blotches!! LOL  I added my picture and other elements to my layout and also some rubons.. I'm the queen of rubons lately .. I just love them especially when they come out nice and grungy.. I don't want them perfect!! No no!! LOL

Now the part I was waiting for to see how they were when stamping.. I took my stamp and all of my colors that were on my layout.. I had added pink and green to my palette by way of the banner. I applied the paint randomly all over the stamp.. mixing it in to each other. then spritzed with a little water.. a very little bit of water.. don't overdo this step.. beware!!!

I stamped on my paper.. The first stamping was kind of blotchy and you couldn't read it all too well. I spritzed a little and stamped again and it was wonderful!! So you need a light application of the paint when stamping. I love using this paint when stamping. 
All in all the paint responds beautifully in all different types of techniques. I really really like it and plan to buy the rest of them .

You can buy them at OWSE Here...

I also used Tim Holtz Distress Ink"  "Gathered Twigs to distress my photo matt and emphemera...

and that was my Layout using his paints. I highly recommend them..

Robyn



No comments: