Friday, December 21, 2012

Friday Feature - blessings

Hi friends.  It's Melody, here with another Friday Feature for you.  Today I have a card that was part of my technique class yesterday.  The technique featured stamping on canvas. 

I started by stamping the green card base with a background stamp, victorian diamonds (Rubbernecker), with dark brown ink.  Every layer on the card is edged with vintage photo distress ink. 

At the bottom of the card is a piece of rust card stock, stamped with a sentiment from an older set from SU, graceful words. 

The die cut circle is part of a brown paper grocery bag, stamped with a Penny Black background, circles and lines. 

For the main image, I die cut a piece of canvas with mini labels movers & shapers (Tim Holtz/Sizzix).  I then stamped the leaf from natural beauty (SU) in jet black archival ink, holding the stamp against the canvas a bit longer than normal to make sure the ink settled into the fibers. 

My canvas is just yardage from the fabric department at my local Walmart, but you could also use sticky back canvas.  I heat set the ink with my heat gun to make sure it was dry. 

The next step was adding color.  I decided to try watercolor pencils (I'm using Inktense) to see how well they worked on canvas.  As you can see on the center leaf in the photo above, I just added a small amount of the pencil and then used a water brush to blend it and spread it out, being careful to stay within the lines. 

In the above closeup, you can see the color is more vivid when wet (bottom leaf) and fades a bit when it is dry (top leaf).  I dried it with my heat gun. 

I wanted to add some vintage photo ink along the edges, so I very carefully used a small sponge dauber and pounced on the ink rather than rubbing, so that the threads didn't fray.  Sometimes that would be OK, but on this piece, I didn't want fraying.  I again heat set the ink before attaching the canvas to my card with Fabri-Tac (Beacon Adhesives).   And here is my finished card. 

I'm really happy with how well the watercolor pencils worked on the canvas. I hope you get a chance to try this technique.  I would love to see what you make with it. 

Some of the products used can be found at Outlaw Women Scrapbook Emporium.  Thank you so much for stopping by. 

3 comments:

Cindi E said...

This is really pretty, Melody. I like the look of the canvas leaves, I'm going to try this!

Unknown said...

very pretty!

Robyn said...

How Beautiful! I'm going to give this a go also! Thanks for sharing this.