Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Feature - Ornament

Hello, friends.  My name is Melody Schwartz (otherwise known as lacyquilter on the internet).  I'm so excited to share with you that I've been invited to do a regular Friday Feature here on the OWSE blog.

Today I have a simple Christmas ornament to help you get ready for the holidays.  I used the larger Tim Holtz rosette die, but these could easily be made with the smaller ones as well.  Since I wanted my ornament to shine, I knew I needed to use something different than regular card stock.

For each ornament, I started by cutting two pieces of thin card stock 2"x12" and then covering one side on each piece with silver foil tape.  I used an alcohol ink applicator with alcohol inks to coat the foil side, and then ran it through my die cutting machine with the rosette die.  I made one using red pepper and cranberry, one using denim and sail boat blue, and the third I left just silver.  I used hot glue to make the rosettes.

Because I wanted the ornaments two sided, each is made up of two rosettes, plus scallop circles in the center, making them more sturdy.  The centers are made from glossy card stock, also coated with alcohol inks, cut with a petite scallop circles die from Spellbinders, with the two layers glued back to back.  It was much easier to use a flat center than to try to glue the two rosettes back to back.  The centers on the silver one are left white.

Some silver cording made my ornaments ready to hang on the Christmas tree. 

Most items to make these ornaments can be found at Outlaw Women Scrapbook Emporium.  Thanks so much for stopping by. 

2 comments:

Robyn said...

OMG!! These are so beautiful!! I am going to try this for sure!! Thanks Melody.

Papernut said...

These are great Melody. What a terrific idea and well explained. Thanks so much. Sande