Friday, October 11, 2013

Canvas Art-secret is layers!

I love doing backgrounds.  All the layering it takes-makes each one unique.
So grab you a canvas and lets get started!
First step-pick some sturdy designer papers.  Rip in chunks.  Probably the size of your palm. apply them to your canvas using Liquitex matte medium or mod podge-whatever you have.
Second step-dab some matching acrylic paint around in spots.  If you saw this canvas up close-you can see the paint is translucent and the designer paper peeks thru.  You don't cover it all up anyway.
Third step-get out some stencils or bubble wrap.  I used my paint brush and dabbed paint on top of my stencils using white acrylic paint. (that is opaque and will cover well)
Dry well each layer-forgot to add that!!  You'll have a fat mess if you don't.
Fourth step-grab you some stamps.  I particularly love the word stamps.  I stamped them on with black stazon ink.
Fifth step-I wanted it to be soft looking so I added a watered down layer of gesso real heavily. I let it set on the canvas for one minute and this dabbed at it with a wadded up paper towel to remove some of the excess.

My heart was free hand cut from a piece of cardboard.  I tore some of the top layer off so the ribs would show, added a layer of gesso. Then layered with gelatos.
when using your gelatos-remember they are activated with water.  You can use it or not.  I spritzed some onto my craft mat and used my finger to massage into the colors to blend them.

The words were cut out using my cricut machine.

My girl was free hand drawn onto a piece of book paper. Cut her out and glued her down with Liquitex matt medium.  Painted her in using acrylic paints.  I show that in detail on another Friday post! You'll have to come back for that!!

To finish the canvas, I used a sponge and went around the edge with some brown acrylic paint. Gave it lots of depth.

I hope your inspired to create you a canvas.

If you need any of the supplies I used-or any other supplies you need-check out the store

OUTLAW WOMEN SCRAPBOOK EMPORIUM
- WHERE EVERYTHING IS 20-25% LESS EVERYDAY!!!

Have a blessed Friday!
Karen Conner

1 comment:

Sonja said...

wow such ability... love the finished look ...